"Good Job, Honey"

image from Polyvore


I just got a phone call from my friend. 

As I answered, I heard her say, "Good job, Honey." 

She was speaking to her 3 year old, and yet it was just what I needed to hear.

Good job!  You got out of bed! 

Good job!  You read with your boys.

Good job!  You took the time to visit with a friend, someone you haven't had time to visit with lately.

Good job!  You made dinner!

Good job!  You just tried to smooth over some hurt feelings and did your best even if things still aren't settled.

Good job!  You took care of your baby's needs....all.day.long.

Good job!  You listened to your daughter talk about her day even though you were distracted by what you thought were weightier matters.

Good job!  Good job! Good job!

 My friend and I joked that maybe we could record those words and put them on replay.  Haha!

In reality, we all need someone on the other end of the phone telling us these words each and every day!  For most of us, the demands placed upon our shoulders are almost too much to bear.  We have to make decisions that affect other people, we meet the needs of those who can't help themselves, we manage the home relentlessly trying to make our reality match our ideals.  This is life.  And it's a good life.  But sometimes we just need someone to say, "Good job, Honey." 

Fortunately, we all have Someone to do just that....if we will take the time to listen for it. 

I recently reread a talk by Sister Sheri L. Dew, you may remember it.  She was speaking to the students of BYU-Idaho in May of last year.  She encouraged the students to ask two questions: 

1) How does the Lord speak to you, what does it feel or sound like? 

2) How does the Lord feel about you?  

These are such essential questions because I bet when we ask them we will receive an answer something like this,  "Good job, Honey.  I love you and am so proud of you."  I bet we will feel love, peace, satisfaction, contentment and joy.  I bet at the end of the day, if we truly turn to Him, He will give us that message we may not get from anywhere else.  And isn't it His love and approval that really matters most?  If I could just allow myself to feel that at the end of every day, I know my doubts and fears would subside.  I have that hope, anyway.

It was a simple call from a friend and I got a message from the Lord.
Thank you.

 -   -   -   -   - 

His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou has been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." 
Matthew 25:21

Comments

Popular Posts