A Visit from Sister Wixom


Sister Rosemary Wixom, former General Primary President, came to speak to the women of BYU-Idaho last night.  What a precious, gentle and loving woman she is!  Her words were timely and beautiful.  I just want to record some of the messages I received from this sweet woman. 

Question:  If your life were a book, what would be it's title? 
Have you ever thought of the answer to this question?  It's one I've been chewing on since Sister Wixom first posed it.  I'm still pondering....

Question:  How do you see eternity every day? 
My friend and I discussed how scripture study is essential for keeping our eye on eternity.  Sister Wixom then introduced us to a beautiful phrase: 

SACRED IDLENESS

What is sacred idleness?  It is purposeful time alone; a focus on sacred (highly valued) things;  a moment in our day that rejuvenates, renews and restores us!  Don't you love that?!  

Sacred idleness is not about wasting time or filling your quiet moments with distractions like social media and television.  

Sacred idleness is personal time in which we focus our lives on the things that matter most. 

Sacred idleness is about pursuing small moments that matter, those things that give you energy back! 

When we focus on creating a sacred moment in our days, we will be able to live in the moment while keeping our eye on eternity! 

Question: How do we take control of our lives? 
The adversary wants to keep us "busily engaged."  We need to seek the light of Christ in our live, determine what the essentials are and focus on the big things in life.  

We do this by keeping our covenants.  Covenant keeping is about trying - - maybe failing sometimes, but always getting up and trying.  Elder Maxwell has said, "It's good to remember how young we are spiritually."  

There is an abundance of blessings for keeping our covenants.  Keep your covenants to bless your family! 

Then, she said so cutely, "If we Mormons can't have fun, I mean, crazy fun, then we are missing the mark!"  

Final Invitatiton
Lastly, Sister Wixom invited us to make a list of those things which have enriched our lives the most.

 - - - - - - 

"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
D&C 68:6

Comments

Popular Posts