Women of Righteousness: A Message from Sister Bednar

 Elder David A. Bednar and his wife, Sister Susan Bednar at a recent Face-to-Face event
image from lds.org

Tuesday night I had an incredible opportunity of listening to words of wisdom from Sister Susan Bednar, wife of Elder David A. Bednar (one of the great perks of being here at BYU-Idaho, I must say).  It is great to see the Brethren and their wives in more candid form than when we see them in General Conference.  At one point in the evening Sister Bednar made Elder Bednar laugh so hard he couldn't even speak for a minute.  It was darling!

Sister Bednar taught the female employees and wives of employees about what it means to be a righteous woman.  She shared beautiful and touching stories of the many women she has met in various parts of the world.

One poignant story was of women in Africa.  These women were not starving, but their meals were few and far between.  One woman made the statement, "It's only a fast when we have food and choose not to eat it."  Sister Bednar commented, "When we teach the principle that a fast is two consecutive meals.  Doing so may mean these women will not eat for a few days."

Such faith.  Such strength.  Such righteous women!

So what did Sister Bendar teach is the definition of a righteous woman?  (the questions below each point are my own)

Righteous Women Have Pure Hearts
What am I doing to fully support my husband? 
How am I instilling the love of missionary work in the hearts of my children?

Righteous Women Sacrifice
What do I  need to do to get my life in order so that when the Savior calls I can "leave my net?"  Even on the daily basis of following the Spirit, I need to be ready to be able to follow each prompting to help someone in need. 

Righteous Women are Converted to the Lord
Do my children feel safe bearing their testimonies?  
Do they sense my true conversion to the Lord? 

Righteous Women have Courage
Elder Bednar spoke of Sister Bednar's unshirking attitude when called upon to visit dangerous and disease-infested countries.  He said of her, "I don't think she even thought of not going when given the choice."  

Am I willing to go anywhere to follow the Savior? 

Righteous Women Keep the Sabbath Day Holy
How can I more fully keep this commandment close to my heart? 


In Closing Sister Bednar said, "Blessings come through our personal struggles" and she invited us to become "armed with righteousness."  It was so beautiful to hear her words and to be surrounded by other righteous women in that gathering last night.  Sister Bednar's comments led me to ask myself:

Are you a Righteous Woman? 

 - - - - - 

"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God, that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon the covenant people of the Lord, who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;  and they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory."  (1 Nephi 14:14)


Comments

Popular Posts