Don't Lose Perspective

image from camelcity.com


Yoga class. It was in a new studio.  New class time.  And it was really hot.

So, I think to myself, "I want to be right in front of the air conditioning."  I found myself a nice cozy spot and prepared for relaxation.  After the first fifteen minutes of class I realized I had made a big mistake.  As the sun set, it began to shine brighter on my side of the room.

Word to the wise:  air conditioning doesn't really help if you're getting beat by the sun.

And then it hit me:  I was blinded by what was right in front of me and didn't think clearly through what that meant for the future.  I was even warned by another, more experienced yogi, but ignored him.

Life is full of "moment distractions" - those things, people, or events that inhibit us from keeping an eternal perspective. How often do we really ask ourselves how much of what we do affects our future?  That purchase that almost fits in the budget, but not quite.  Yelling at a child when a soft word would work so much better?  The minutes past a balanced amount that we spend on social media?

I was just talking to my husband about a goal/dream I've had for forever but not really accomplishing.  He said, "I don't think you really want that."  I was so confused.  He continued, "You fill your time with other things, so I don't think you really want it."  This was a great moment for me to look into my life and see what distractions were keeping me from fulfilling this lifelong goal of mine.  My husband was right...and wrong.  I DID want this to happen in my life, I had just let other things (some of which were necessary) take the place of THIS particular dream.

I love those moments when we can look inward with a different perspective, evaluate our lives, make changes if necessary and move forward.  Thank you yoga.  Thank you J.!

Comments

Popular Posts