My Health

I thought I'd posted about my health issues.  But I guess I was rather vague and never fully explained what was going on with me and my diet.  Part of that reason is because I think I was still trying to figure out what was happening to me (I still am) and part of it was because I got busy!  :-) So, this post is mostly in response to Jillaire's comment/question from a few posts ago  (but anyone who chooses to may read along as well!).

It all really starts two years ago when I had my blood infection with D's birth.  The doctors were testing me for all sorts of things, including autoimmune diseases, and were surprised to find no real rhyme or reason for the infection to go septic.  To boost my immune system I felt like I needed to change my diet....but was too stubborn to do so.

Recently, March to be exact, I ended up in the ER with what appeared to be just a back spasm.  This was after seeing a chiropractor for the few months prior to the episode.  I was then referred to a neurologist, an orthopedic doctor, and finally physical therapy.  No results.  MRI looked perfect.  Nothing was wrong.  But I was still in a lot of pain.

Technically, I've been in pain for about ten years...with new target areas being added as time's gone on.  I just didn't do anything about it because of a previous back injury and assuming all was related to that.  So, to make a long story short....The "official" diagnosis has been Myofascial Syndrome, which is basically just a fancy name for chronic muscle pain.

Again, after the incident in March, I was prompted to change my health habits.  The easy first step for me was to cut out all sugar and white flour.  I sometimes will eat white rice and when served dinner at another person's home I won't decline their food if it doesn't fit my criteria.  But, for the most part, at home I stay away from sugar and white flour (processed foods).

The second step I'm just tapping into is to take supplements.  I'm currently taking magnesium and  B-complex vitamins which has helped for the chronic fatigue that comes along with this syndrome. I'm still working on finding the "perfect solution" for the pain.  But, for the most part, I'm back to functioning at my "normal" level.  :-)

Ultimately, what I've learned is that many people experience health issues due to inflammation in the body (I like this website for information & dietary suggestions).  How inflammation manifests itself may be different in each individual, but it's something to look into if you're experiencing any aches, pains, or chronic anything.  My situation is nothing fatal.  It's just something I need to learn to manage with better diet and regular exercise.  Following the Lord's law of health with more diligence.

"And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones; And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;  And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.  And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen."   - - Doctrine & Covenants 89:18-21 - - 

Comments

  1. I'm just glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the details. I'm honored to be mentioned--and glad I finally am catching up on your blog. You posted this when I was out of town and we're still settling into our new place, so my blog reading and writing wasn't happening much in June. Good luck with all this! I love my white flour and sugar, so I know it would be tough.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts