Asking the Right Question

I'm having a Brother of Jared experience.
No, don't think too grand, now. :-)

Remember after the Brother of Jared built the ships?  He went to the Lord and asked two questions.
1) How are we going to breathe?
2) How are we going to get light?

The Lord answered the first question with a clear, distinct answer.  "And the Lord said unto the brother of Jared: Behold, thou shalt make a hole in the top, and also in the bottom; and when thou shalt suffer for air thou shalt unstop the hole and receive air. And if it be so that the water come in upon thee, behold, ye shall stop the hole, that ye may not perish in the flood (Ether 2:20)."

The answer to the second question was a bit different.  "And the Lord said unto the brother of Jared: What will ye that I should do that ye may have light in your vessels? For behold, ye cannot have windows, for they will be dashed in pieces; neither shall ye take fire with you, for ye shall not go by the light of fire (v. 23)."  

Apparently, the Lord was willing to give the Brother of Jared the air because He needed them to live through this experience.  The light on the other hand was a bit more subjective, I guess, so the Lord could allow the Brother of Jared to seek out the answer on his own.  

I'm having one of those moments.  
I feel the Lord directly told me, "Change your diet.  Work on your health."  Easy.  Challenging, but a clear answer.  

The second answer I received when seeking what to learn from being down was a bit more like the second answer the Brother of Jared received.  "Well, you need to eliminate some stress.  What do you want to do about that?"   A question I need to seek and find out for myself (though I think I have some hints to what that answer might be).  

But I just realized what the Lord's question-answer really was:  "What will ye that I should do that ye may have light in your vessels?"  

What do I want the Lord to do?  This is where our faith comes in, right?  Faith that He will make the light shine in our lives as we do the work.  As we step into the direction we think we need to go, isn't that what happens?  Light appears.  And there is peace.  We see the hand of the Lord in our lives.  

This is something to chew on for a few days.  

Comments

Popular Posts