10.18.2012

My Grandma

I know my posts have been sparse the week.  I have so much to share...women's retreat, Mentoring Mothers, more great books to share!  However, this week has been a bit of whirlwind as I've tried to prepare for yet another weekend away.  My grandmother, Lucille Evans Pack, passed away this last Tuesday and so I am heading to her Mermorial this weekend.  Just me.  So, I've been trying to get things done here at home so I can leave with as little chaos as I can.  :- )

Grandma with David 2011
My grandma was/is such a sweet, sweet lady.  All I remember of my grandma are sweet smiles, lots of laughter, and just a positive feeling all around.  We didn't grow up near her and so my memories consist of our few visits down to St George as a child.  I remember playing Concentration at her house many times (I think it's still there in her home!).  My sister and I were always giddy to choose which cute plate set we'd use at Grandma's;   Raggedy Ann and Andy was the one I remember.  Most of all I just remember the peace that I felt in her home.  


The great blessing for me and my family is that we were able to be there to visit her just a year ago this week.  I had kept saying year after year, "We need to go see Grandma."  Now I see that had we pushed it off one more year, we would have been too late.  The kids just remember her laughing a lot.  She went out of this life happy.  :-)


Death is always such a bittersweet experience.   This was definitely her time.  I want to say she just turned 99 this last month (but it might just be 98).  And she's been alone for nearly 20 years.  I can just imagine the sweet reunion she had with my grandpa after being separated for so long.   Her joy for life will be felt for generations. 

2 comments:

  1. So hard to say goodbye. Glad you have so many good memories of a life well lived! Enjoy your trip alone. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure sorry Julia, but I am glad you made that trek last year so your kids could get to know her.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...