Food Day


Wednesday is Food Day
Doesn't sound too exciting, maybe.   But for me it's just what's on my mind! 

For awhile my husband has been eating low-carb.  Really low-carb.  Which also means no sugar.  For two years.  Yeah.  He's got more willpower than I can even dream of having. 

And yet, as he's talked about it and lived it for so long, I can't help but think about it myself.  With my own health issues that arose with my last baby's delivery, I got online to read about building one's immunce system.  Guess what?  You guessed it.  Low Carb, no sugar. 

So, I've been thinking about this for awhile.  And am finally reading more about it.  The book Eat to Live landed in my hands this week.  As I've read the book I've had in my mind (and in my prayers) one specific question:  What small step can I take that will help me change for good?  I really would like to just change tomorrow and never look back.  I don't like slow-process change.  But that just isn't realistic (especially when feeding six children who will not change so drastically). 

I liked a couple of thoughts from Eat to Live:  Salad is the main dish and fresh fruits & vegetables should make up 90% of your diet.  This is a very pro-vegetarian book and I don't know that I'll go quite that far (yet) but I do like the idea of just increasing my veggie intake.

Okay, so now that I got all of that out of my system...what does it have to do with Joyful Mondays?  Well, I guess we can just take a moment to evaluate our own diets and then educate our children on taking care of their own bodies.  We teach them not to say no to drugs, alcohol and smoking, so why not take it a step further and teach them the good stuff we can put into our bodies for nourishment and health? 

"Yea, and the herb, and the agood things which come of the earth, whether for food or for braiment, or for houses, or for barns, or for orchards, or for gardens, or for vineyards;  Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the abenefit and the buse of man, both to please the eye and to cgladden the heart;  Yea, for afood and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to bstrengthen the body and to enliven the soul."
 - - Doctrine & Covenants 59:17-19

Comments

Popular Posts