Why I Love Being a Mother....

There are days for all of us when motherhood is all but glamorous.  My mom remembers thinking, "This is all I do, messes and diapers."  And some days that is truly all we do. 

It's days like that when I want to remind myself that this has been my dream...to be a mother of many children.  And so, today I share a few things that I love about being a mom:

#1 - A 2nd Childhood.  My daughter just got an American Girl magazine in the mail yesterday.  I think I had just as much fun looking through it as she did (though I will not pay the horendous prices).  Also yesterday, my son pulled out the game Upwords for us to play.  This immediately sent me into nastolgic memories sitting in the front room playing with my sister.  And then there's just the simple first discoveries each child goes through, allowing me to relive it all over again myself!

#2 - Childlike forgiveness and love.  As much as I loathe sibling rivalry (probably my least favorite part of motherhood), the making up is usually so quick and forgiving.  Oh, if only I could be so quick.


#3 - All the different personalities.  Right now we're watching little D's true person start to shine through.  It's amazing when you think you've got every personality you could possibly have, another different little person shows up!  And you can't imagine your family without them!

#4 - The busyness of living.  When my kids aren't around I almost don't know what to do with msyelf.  Of course, while they're here I'm thinking of all the things I could be doing without them in tow, but overall I enjoy the hum in the background as I go about my day. 

#5 - Learning along the way.  I still remember and love when Elder Lynn G. Robbins said this:

 A sweet and obedient child will enroll a father or mother only in Parenting 101. If you are blessed with a child who tests your patience to the nth degree, you will be enrolled in Parenting 505. Rather than wonder what you might have done wrong in the premortal life to be so deserving, you might consider the more challenging child a blessing and opportunity to become more godlike yourself. With which child will your patience, long-suffering, and other Christlike virtues most likely be tested, developed, and refined? Could it be possible that you need this child as much as this child needs you?  (April 2011)

These children who I have been blessed with are truly helping me become who I am meant to be.  That is really what I love BEST about motherhood! 

Comments

Popular Posts