Mockery

In my studies for my lesson yesterday I came upon this scripture passage:

Alma 5:28-30
28 Behold, are ye stripped of apride? I say unto you, if ye are not ye are not prepared to meet God. Behold ye must prepare quickly; for the kingdom of heaven is soon at hand, and such an one hath not eternal life.
 29 Behold, I say, is there one among you who is not stripped of aenvy? I say unto you that such an one is not prepared; and I would that he should prepare bquickly, for the hour is close at hand, and he knoweth not when the time shall come; for such an one is not found guiltless.
 30 And again I say unto you, is there one among you that doth make a amock of his brother, or that heapeth upon him persecutions?

I think we've pretty much hashed out what pride and envy are and how bad and evil these characteristics are.  But what about mockery?  What does that even mean? 

Have you seen this video?



I LOVE IT!!

The footnote of the word "mockery" states "backbiting, gossip."  But what about sarcasm?  Criticism?  Making others feel unimportant or stupid?  I think mockery could be any judgment that is passed without knowing the full story. 

And as President Uchtdorf said in his conference talk, "Don't judge me for sinning differently than you."   It seems there were several talks on just this topic at the recent general conference.  There must be a need to listen, if it's going to be repeated. 

Comments

Popular Posts