Mental Presence



picture from wildernesswayschool.com

I've been thinking a lot about mental presence.  I once heard a speaker say, "I'm not so worried about the physical presence of mothers (though that is still a concern), I'm more troubled about the mental presence of mothers." 

There are many items on a mother's to do list.  But it's not just those physical lists that we have to worry about, right? 

Sometimes I'll say to my husband, "I have so much to do?" 

He'll ask, "What do you have on your list?" 

"Ummmm....There's not really a long list...it's just mental."

What to make for dinner?  How can I learn to discuss a particular issue with one of my children?  What do I need to do to be a better wife?  How can I help those two siblings to work better together or how can I get that child to stop teasing the others?  What does my daughter need to feel loved?  How can I teach that child math, reading, writing?  What can I do more to teach my kids about serving others and being compassionate? 

These and more questions are all on a mothers' mental to do list.  Sometimes we put those things on paper, but oftentimes they're just there...lingering. 

I've been in this mental thoughts abyss for the past couple of weeks.  I can tell when I am not mentally present because I react with irritation toward my children.  I resist affection from my husband.  I'm more critical and get easily upset with the clutter in our home.  I'm not as willing to sit down and read a book or play a game with my 5 year old.  These are symptoms that tell me it's time for a vacation! 

When I suggested this to J. he said, "Why don't you just go on vacation and not tell anyone?"  Brilliant!  But easier said than done.  I was all geared up this morning for my "vacation."  But, the nagging mommy was released instead.  So, this afternoon will be better. I will start my vacation then.  :-)

How do we find that peaceful place?   I just read a great post, too, about Peace vs. Productivity.  I. Loved. It.  And I needed it.  Now I just need to do it! 

Comments

Popular Posts